Jesse W. Soby was born on July 11, 1889 in Hulmeville, PA. He left school at age 12 to work, then joined the military to serve his country at War. Jesse was a Wagoner in the 2315th infantry of the 79th division in France. Fighting was fierce, and after he made his run to the front lines with supplies, shellshock prevented the next man from going, so Jesse volunteered to again.
A German shell hit his Wagon on September 29, 1918, just a few days before the War ended, and he was killed.
He was a buried in a shallow grave along the road as his comrades were advancing rapidly. His remains were not found for almost eight years and were identified by a gold watch that was engraved with his name that was given to him by his sisters when he left Hulmeville.
The first meeting to form an American Legion Post in the Langhorne locality was held on July 14, 1919 in the Langhorne Borough Town Hall with 12 veterans present. Doctor Samuel L. Ridge was elected chairman. An application for a charter was signed at this meeting with a temporary charter issued on July 2-4, 1919 and a permanent one issued August 20, 1920.
At a meeting held on November 21, 1919, it was Voted that the name of the post would be the Jesse W. Soby Post # 148 of Langhorne, in honor of Jesse W. Soby of Hulmeville, who was killed in action in France on September 27, 1918. The Soby Post was the second post to be chartered in Bucks County. Meetings were held in the Langhorne Borough Hall until November 11, 1920, when the Post Headquarters were moved to the Community House.
At the October, 1939 Post meeting a committee was formed to find a new and larger building for the Post, with Frank Vogenberger as chairman. On the January 1940 meeting, however, the committee reported that no suitable and affordable building could be found, and the matter was voted on and dropped. A year later, January 31, 1941 another committee was formed to discuss the possible enlargement of the Memorial Hall or once again finding a new suitable Post Home.
Many meetings were held culminating in the to move forward. A successful conclusion was reached on August 23, 1943, by a vote of 26 to 3, it was decided to purchase the Davenport Property on the comer fof Bellevue and Richardson Avenues. The Post and its headquarters were than moved to the main building, and the Drum and Bugle Corp. would occupy the barn in the rear of the property. This barn would later be known as Cadet Hall.